We're burning out, when we stop believing in the effectiveness of our actions. But it can be dealt with.
How to recognize burnout
IN исследованияхCan a self-efficacy-based intervention decrease burnout,increase engagement, and enhance performance? выгорание определяется так: cynicism + feeling of alienation + утомление.
For example, you need to prepare a report for the conference. A cynical attitude can manifest itself in thoughts like "I can't perform well.". You will want to distance yourself from the problem and not look at your notes at all.. As a result, preparing for a performance will tire you very much., although you will do little in a day.
There are also such symptoms.:
- Temporary, but a significant decrease in persistence. For example, you rehearsed your performance and made a reservation somewhere or forgot to say the most important thing. It upset you so much, that you gave up preparation for a few days.
- Twisting yourself. You start to think: “What if I make the same stupid mistake at the conference?? What, if I bar all public speaking? What, если я всегда буду ошибаться в жизни и умру посредственностью?»
How to avoid burnout
To do this, you need to increase self-efficacy - faith in your actions and the ability to achieve success.. When she falls, burnout occurs.
По даннымSelf-efficacy: Toward a Unifying Theory of Behavioral Change исследователей из Стэнфордского университета, the level of self-efficacy depends on four factors:
- Direct experience. Успешно завершив важное дело, you become confident and elated. It is the most reliable source of personal effectiveness..
- Indirect experience. Когда другие достигают успеха в деле, in which you want to excel, it inspires. Especially if they are people, which you look up to. Thoughts appear: “Since others can, then I can too ".
- Conviction. Самоэффективность повышается, when someone important to you says, what can you handle. For example, родители, супруг, mentor.
- Physiological and psychological state. Тревога, stress and constant fatigue reduce self-confidence.
How to deal with burnout, if it could not be prevented
Blogger Kunal Shandilya (Kunal Shandilya) советует упражнения для улучшения самоэффективности.
1. Build up your pace gradually
If you burn out, you won't be able to immediately write a long article or create a new product.. Начинайте с малого. Small victories will gradually strengthen you. Use the resulting boost of confidence, to succeed in big tasks. Over time, you will return to normal performance levels..
2. Use visualization and self-hypnosis
Self-hypnosis is based on a change of subconscious beliefs. To do this, you need to repeat positive attitudes over and over again.. And they must have emotional reinforcement.. For example, tell yourself a few times every morning: “I have high self-efficacy. Sometimes I burn out, but then I recover and achieve success ".
3. Become an example for others
You will inspire others with your example., when you strengthen your faith in yourself. Remind yourself of this. Their emotional uplift and increased performance will inspire you in return.. It will turn out to be a vicious circle, useful for everyone.
4. Learn to deal with anxiety
For many, anxiety is one of the main factors., reducing self-efficacy. To deal with her, follow this plan:
- Seeing your excitement, сделайте паузу.
- Identify disturbing thoughts.
- Оцените, how reasonable are they.
The most common cause of anxiety is contrived fears.. Если у вас более серьёзные проблемы с тревожностью, contact a specialist.
Repeating these exercises regularly can help prevent burnout.. But there are situations, when you run the risk of burnout anyway, for example, if you are very tired. So always give yourself some rest., it is good for overall health.
As soon as you notice, that self-efficacy is declining: cynical thoughts about work and alienation appear, follow the course of these exercises immediately.