We predict the future of different companies on the statistics of university graduates. We predict the consequences of the growing popularity of second-hand for everyone, including the second-hand itself. Together with the directors of oil companies, we doubt the prospects of electric cars.
Disclaimer: when we talk about, that something has grown, we mean a comparison with the same quarter a year earlier. Since all issuers are from the USA, then all results in dollars. When creating the material, sources were used, inaccessible to users from the Russian Federation. We hope, Do you know, what to do.
The answer is a little predictable
The American financial company Bankrate has compiled a rating of higher education diplomas, whose owners can count on the best financial prospects.
The rating was compiled on the basis of a survey of 250 graduates of American universities, taking into account the following metrics, which influenced the final rating in appropriate proportions:
- Average income among holders of the corresponding diploma - 70%.
- Unemployment rates among holders of the relevant diploma - 20%.
- Having a higher degree in your field 10%.
Think, no one will be surprised by the news, that at the very top of the list there are only representatives of technical and engineering professions:
- architectural design: annual income - 90 thousand, unemployment — 1,3%;
- computer engineering: annual income - 101 thousand, unemployment — 2,3%;
- science and technology in the field of transport: annual income - 86 thousand, unemployment — 1,8%.
Worst of all are the representatives of the humanitarian professions. So, graduates of acting departments have an annual income of 41 thousand, and unemployment — 4,9%. Interesting, that among techies there are a lot of workers with a degree from a master's degree and above: on average more than 20% techies diploma above bachelor's degree in their field.
In the top twenty of the list, you can find representatives only of fundamental sciences, and engineers and people with knowledge in the field of mechanics are in great demand. Here are some conclusions that can be drawn based on viewing this rating.
Firstly, U.S. Employers Need Infrastructure Specialists, which indirectly indicates that, that in America a large amount of work has accumulated to maintain existing infrastructure. So the growth of investment in US infrastructure will be, even if the Biden plan is not implemented. This is good news for companies., working in relevant industries.
Secondly, a serious level of income in technical and engineering specialties indicates that, that American companies are determined to carry out a massive program of investments in the renewal of their fixed assets: factories, equipment and adjacent infrastructure. This is good news for OEMs and OEMs.. And bad ones - for the corporate sector as a whole: he should be prepared for rising costs.
Thirdly, the low wages of people in the near-acting fields alleviate the financial burden of producers of cinematic content like Disney and Netflix - which is important, as the burden is growing lately. However, upcoming Hollywood strike of grassroots film crews, which will cover 60 thousand employees, hints at, that the flexibility of working conditions in this area has its limits.
Fourth, the abundance of people with higher than undergraduate education is suggestive, what about educational platforms, providing access to master's and other programs, there are good chances for revenue growth due to the influx of techies, those wishing to improve their degree.
The only drawback of the study is that, that the data there is taken for 2019, - therefore, maybe, the pandemic has made its own adjustments.
"Pants on the fringe, just chills on the skin!»
Retail analytics company GlobalData and online second-hand store ThredUp have released a major report on the state of used clothing sales in the US.
Here is the basic information from there:
- Used clothing market to grow from $36 billion to $77 billion by 2025;
- the total number of sellers in 2020 was 52.6 million. Expected, that in the near future their number will already be 118.8 million;
- approximately 36 billion garments, including accessories, discarded only in the USA, despite the fact that 95% of them can be recycled or continued to be used;
- 33 million people bought used clothes for the first time in 2020, And 76% these buyers plan to increase spending in this area in the next 5 years;
- 60% retail chains are ready to offer their customers used clothes;
- mothers prepare to buy more used clothing for their children in the future.
The report also contains many expected standard words about ecology, which is also important. Such news is, certainly, positive for companies, working in the field of used goods, such as Winmark and RealReal. But, considering the large volumes of goods, money and the number of consumers, referred to in the report, I would expect a large number of different startups to appear in this area.
Since this kind of consumption is considered to be very environmentally friendly, the powerful ESG lobby will go out of its way to support such endeavors with money. Therefore, we can wait for these unborn companies of Rabelaisian sizes P / S and P / E. Although the last one is there, probably, will not: I think, there the standard state will be losses.
For existing retailers - both offline, and online — this will be an opportunity to increase revenue by attracting a new audience, wanting to save. But what will be the profitability of such undertakings is difficult to say now.. It is very possible, that retail chains will be late for this holiday and will be forced to buy start-ups in their respective industries at wild prices.
It will be interesting to see, How will retailers like Nike adapt to this? (NYSE: NKE) и Abercrombie & Fitch (NYSE: ANF). By idea, All this threatens them with a decrease in revenue., but if they can adapt and lead the process, then, maybe, the damage will be minimized.
They forgot to ask the driller
Branch FED USA in Dallas conducted a survey among oil company managers. This time, among the standard industry questions about oil production and price forecasts, directors were asked about other topics. In particular, what percentage of the cars sold in the US by 2030 will be electric cars.. Here are the survey results:
- the majority of respondents - 34% - consider, which is 10-19%;
- 22% respondents generally think, that the range will be in the region of 0-9%.
- 29% respondents are more optimistic and believe, that 20-29% of sales will be electric cars;
- only 1% respondents consider, that more 50% from the cars sold will be electric cars.
Meanwhile, according to the strategy of the current US administration in 2030, electric cars should account for more than half of all car sales in the country..
Basically, the poll results are not shocking: it would be strange to expect a different answer from people, whose welfare depends on the demand for hydrocarbons. But this is a good reason to remember the main problems in the way of electric cars., which may take a generation:
- insufficient number of gas stations - and the problem with their availability;
- price: Electric cars are generally more expensive than conventional cars or, at a comparable price, an electric car has a shorter travel distance;
- increase in the cost of raw materials: electric cars need a lot of lithium, copper and other resources. The projected increase in demand for these inputs by EV manufacturers under standard market conditions should lead to higher prices for these inputs and, Consequently, growth in the cost of electric cars, which again affects the cost of the car.
When talking with fans of electric cars, you can usually hear only, that these problems will be solved, - but everyone keeps a mysterious silence in response to the question of whether, how exactly. apparently, supposed, that they will decide themselves. So that, may be, directors of oil companies and act as stakeholders, but their predictions may be much closer to the truth, what shareholders of electric car companies would like to admit now.
And if so, this is very bad news for companies like Tesla and Tata Motors, whose quotes swelled just due to expectations of growth in sales of electric cars in the future.